I took several days "off" of paying attention to what I was eating or walking, which was nice because we ate out at a nice restaurant, I had caramel cheesecake which I split up into two days anyway, Steve cooked us steak dinners for Valentine's Day, and it just wasn't the time to count calories. Even so, I had grilled fish and vegetables for dinner and shrimp cocktail for an appetizer instead of worse things, balancing it out a bit. But today was the day to get back to the routine, 'cause you don't want to let it slide for too long. Momentum, you know. You want to keep it going in the right direction.
Kaylee had play practice after school for the Wizard of Oz, and then Taekwondo, homework, and relaxing a little. Tomorrow she has a dental appointment that includes needles in the gum. She's freaked out about it. She's never been good with needles, was in tears after her last round of shots and made me look up that she'd be 21 before she had to have any more shots and swore she'd skip it then because she'd be a grown-up who could skip it if she wanted to. Our dentist doesn't do "Laughing Gas" because, the nurse said "We've never had anybody who needed that." Seriously?! But no, they don't even have it in their office. We do have an option of giving her something stronger, but we're not sure about that. So...we're going to see how this goes. If you want to shoot up a prayer or two for her, she could use it. If not her, then me, because I'll be the one taking her there which has the potential to be as traumatizing for me as it is her. Hopefully tomorrow I can write back that it went like clockwork, no problems.
During a show I was watching today while I was on the treadmill, the leader of a group of folks trying to survive in a post-apocalyptical world told a story about his Grandfather who fought in WWII. He said he'd wake up each day, assume he was going to die that day, and just go fight as best he could. He said that after two years of assuming he was going to die each morning, he walked out of there and survived after all. The leader said maybe that was their key to survival, to just assume they were walking dead, just to get through it, and then maybe they'd all come out it the other side after all. Some of his people agreed, others felt like that was giving up. It made me think about hope, because I think that you can handle a lot in life: hard times, no money, work difficulties, health difficulties, all sorts of difficulties, and even when it gets bad you can put your head down and keep walking. But when hope gets crushed, to me that's the hardest thing to come back from. It's one part of what they are saying, that if you don't hold out hope you'll survive the situation, then you won't be as timid or afraid to do what you need to do; no matter how bad it is, you'll be bold and fearless physically, which you need; and also, if you don't hold out hope, you won't be crushed by it or anything else, mentally. It is bleak, but it has merit in some situations.
Getting ready for the day, the "Today Show" was on in the background and I heard them mention exercises to help with upper arm flappy thing. Well, that spoke to the girl in me as an area that's been bugging me, so I sat down and watched that segment, where they provided about four simple things you could do to help with toning up that area. I figure I can add that one target area in now for awhile and see how it goes, even if I'm probably not going to be going sleeveless anytime soon regardless. I'll let you know if it does anything after a month or so...
These are a couple of images I saw online. The first one isn't really a quote from Tom Hanks as much as a quote from Tom Hanks' character on "League of Their Own." Dottie said she had to quit because "It's too hard!" He responded with "Of course it's hard! It's supposed to be hard!" and then the below. I have always liked this/that quote...
This next quote is from a woman who is in her 50s, out of shape, large, and has a niece with SMA. She trained for a year to be able to jog in a 5K, and when she posted this, knowing that, it got me. This has to be modified for me, because I don't run, and I doubt I will ever run unless I am attempting to get to someone in an emergency. However, I love this anyway. Make it say "Walk Firmly" and I could join in on that, with gusto.


No comments:
Post a Comment