Taking it a little slow today, doing okay, better than last night anyway, still hanging in there, barely on the edge of well, or ill. Let's tip on over to 'well' now.
The 340 was done and ready to be picked up, so after lunch when the weather was just good enough, Steve C. flew me over to Anderson so I could bring it home. Everything seems to work except the XM music, and D said he may have an idea of what the problem is, so he's going to run out to the airport to drop off the logbook entry they gave him, and see if he can fix the XM. We can't not have tunes in that thing. That's just unacceptable. ;)
Everyone is talking about this winter storm, but we're right at the edge, and we shouldn't get anything that exciting. Depending on who you believe, anywhere from 1-4". It may be slick on the roads in the morning if we get any of the sleet, but really we're just barely in the path, so odds are it'll be pretty uneventful.
Kaylee's school opened up sales for the Christmas program tickets yesterday. I was on my way out to get some, but another school mom was going already, and offered to grab ours too for us, so I could pick up Kaylee from Taekwondo since Steve was still feeling sick. That worked out great for me. Found out that after the first day of sales, somebody said they only had 40 tickets left available for sale. They will sell completely out in very short order here. So I'm glad we got our tickets asap. Kaylee warned us to do that, she'd heard the Fall program sold out and some parents didn't get to see their kid perform. I told her I'd have stood in the back, but no way were they going to keep me out of my own kids' program, any more than they're going to stop me from taking pictures of it. But we won't have to worry about that this time either, because we have our tickets. Maybe I should have bought extras and then scalped them later. I'm just kidding, c'mon...
Kaylee has a school project, and for part of that project she and a classmate have to bake from scratch Mini Cinnamon-Apple Empanadas, pastry and all, and Alfajores. They were going to go to the classmates house and do this on Sunday afternoon, and work with the classmate's mom, who has four kids and is a mostly stay at home mom who has heard of Empanadas and Alfajores. Instead, the mom can't do it after all, so they are supposed to come over here and do it. What the heck is an Empanada and an Alfajores and how am I supposed to help them make these things successfully? Where in the grocery store do I find pisco and dulce le leche? Six tablespoons of it, in fact. I was all proud of myself for mashing my own potatoes at Thanksgiving. I just Googled these things. Good grief, one is a "confection pastry", a dessert with a crème in between cut-out shapes of delicate pastries, and the other is a meal pastry stuffed with various meats, etc. And we can't even pre-buy the pastries. It's all from scratch. I have two pages of ingredients necessary and a list of directions from the internet that is making my stomach hurt. I can't even fake these kids out and just go pay somebody to make them, because "they" have to help make them. Maybe I now know why the other kids' mom suddenly can't do it after all. I don't blame her, but I may not forgive her. Attitude, Laura, it's all about attitude. Okay. I get to spend time with Kaylee and her classmate and make a mess and have fun with flour and sugar and learn how to make something new and different. It's the teacher I need to give a talking to, isn't it. I mean, that I need to thank for forcing us to, I mean for giving us the chance to try something new, difficult, and time-consuming, I mean being able to spend so much together time in the kitchen learning something new. Oooh! I bet Tre knows how to make this stuff! No...I can't stand the defeat before I even begin. Many meaner, nastier, trickier things have tried to beat me and have failed. We shall give this a try. It's only pastry, how bad can it be? We shall make a mess. I shall not get frustrated. We shall conquer Empanadas and Alfajores. Gee, I hope I don't get a last-minute trip that day, leaving Steve with two almost-teen-girls in the kitchen. *grin* We'll see if he read all this. ;)
Well, I feel better at least.
Barely. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment