Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Florida Follies and Fun

I can't believe I forgot one fun fact from yesterday's adventures. On my first full day of Spring Break I was given a 10-day prescription for antibiotics. When you take antibiotics, you're supposed to stay out of the sun due to an increased "sun sensitivity". Irony, much? This morning we went out on the beach, and I sunscreened up, we paid for two seats and an umbrella under which to sit. But Kaylee's friend was gone snorkeling, so she didn't have anyone to play with, and she's not like me--she's only really happy doing things when she has someone to do them with. So I went out to the water with her, she had her boogie board, and after much coaxing and talking and joking around, I got her to go boogie boarding for awhile. Eventually I went back to the 'cabana' and switched places with Steve. We went to the Boardwalk on Daytona Beach, ate at Joe's Crab Shack, and walked around for a little while. By the end of that, sunscreen or no sunscreen, I was burned. Not terrible, but painful enough, both legs, feet and arms. And my finger still hurts every time it touches anything, or sometimes even just sitting there touching nothing but air. ;)

Also part of yesterday's fun was a banking snafu. I'm trying to finish buying a van for someone via SMA Support. They sent me an email on Good Friday in the afternoon that the guy's ready for the money. I'm getting ready to be gone for over a week, and I can't get to the bank before I leave. So I tell them I'll call them Saturday with my debit card, which has a high limit for such occasions. I call the next day, and the card won't go through. Now I can't do anything until Monday because the bank is closed. So Monday while I'm waiting at the walk-in clinic to see the doctor, I call my bank. They can find nothing wrong with my card. I call the guy I'm trying to get money to and let him know my bank is calling headquarters. This went back and forth for awhile, them calling me, me calling him, etc. (And I love talking on the phone, particularly on my vacation.) Finally we learn that the bank had reduced everyone's card limits back at some point, but they couldn't do anything about it quickly, so I called my guy back and told him how to divide up the charges over how many days. Just...a cluster upon a cluster and a perfect addition to the way every thing went most of yesterday. ;)

To further the irony, today we found the pool ice cold, and the outdoor hot tub was also cold, along with the ocean itself. Though it was 77 degrees today, the wind off the water was pretty stiff, and it was just chilly all over. However, let me reiterate that it was 77 degrees today, vs 43 degrees in Indiana. Our low tonight is going to be 64, while it's 25 in Kokomo. And our view is great, I love watching the ocean sitting out on the cabana or on our deck from our room facing the ocean. I also enjoy hearing the waves breaking on shore from my bed in the morning/evening. I enjoyed watching the sun rise over the water, and watching the water calm down and the seagulls playing off shore in the early evening. Sitting out on the deck and looking at all the stars out over the ocean...very peaceful. So while it's almost been comical at how many things have not gone all that well (I've skipped telling you quite a few), the truth of the matter is that if you're going to have to have an infected finger and sensitive pasty white girl skin exascerbated to sunburn thanks to antibiotics, and a day or two where things keep going wrong, you might as well be on the beach for it!

Tonight the girls are having a sleepover in Kaylee's room. See, when they overbooked and gave away our suite, they instead gave us two connecting rooms. I couldn't believe it, but Kaylee wanted to sleep alone in her own room last night. She's growing up fast, I guess, but usually she wants to be with us, doesn't like sleeping in her own room. But for tonight she invited her friend from school, her friend's little sister and her friend's other friend to all come up and spend the night in her room. The other girls are here with a group of 12 people, 10 of them kids, 7 boys, 3 girls. It's the crew that Kaylee went to Florida with last year. So the mom was happy to let the 3 girls spend the evening/night up here with us, and we're having a pizza party, they'll stay up too late, Kaylee's having a blast, and that's more like it, Spring Break. :)

No comments: