Good Grief, I'm tired, but I'm too wired up to get to sleep!
I woke up at 5 a.m. with a headache and a bad feeling. I took some Tylenol, then went into Kaylee's room where I found another turtle floating in the water unmoving. I pulled out all the turtles, and they were all sluggish. Well, two sluggish, one non-responsive. I changed their water again, and two of them revived and started moving around, waking up apparently, while the third was definitely gone. It didn't drown, it died, and I'm guessing Lumpy did the same. I went back to bed and tried to kick my headache, and it wouldn't work, even though I took more headache medicine than I should. Eventually I had to just give up and get up and get Kaylee up. I sat next to her on the bed, and she looked at me and said "Did one of my turtles die?" I asked how she knew that, and she said it as just the way I was looking at her. She was upset, of course. This time it was Shiny that didn't make it. Not a great way to start the day.
We spent the day at the airport with various folks. It was actually good enough to fly much of today, though windy and gray and dreary, and none of us did. Duane and Trey did some family things in Indy, and I tried to recover from the dumb headache that would not die. I felt pretty puny to be formating anyway.
At the end of the evening, Steve was feeling sick, so he came on home, while Kaylee and I drove down to Indianapolis for Trey's 21st birthday dinner at Harry & Izzy's. I ate this shrimp cocktail that blew the top of my head off. The horseradish hit my sinuses like a bomb, and I am not kidding. They took pictures of me holding my nose, covering my mouth, trying not to breathe, eyes watering. That was fierce. Good, but fierce. I had a blue cheese stuffed fillet, and Kaylee got a regular fillet, medium, and we shared a brownie dessert that was pretty wicked too. We got there around 8, we weren't seated until about 9 pm, and we weren't out of there until past 11 p.m. It was a long evening in that regard, but it was a nice place to eat and we enjoyed the company. Kaylee and I did not have time to run home and change clothes, so we had to go as we were, which was under dressed for that establishment. The other persons in our party were dressed in dress slacks and dress shirts and a few ties and so forth, except Duane who had on jeans and another pilot who had on jeans and a sweatshirt. Kaylee was feeling and acting a little funny, so I took her to the restroom and asked what was up. She said she felt out of place, so I told her that while it would have been ideal to be able to change, we couldn't, so the next thing is to be confident enough to not worry about it. I told her it's all about her attitude, and she should hold her head high and her back straight and walk out there and act as though she belonged there as she was just as much as the ladies in evening dresses around us did--because she did. And that's exactly what she did. She sat in that chair with her back straight, using proper utensils, holding conversations with the adults around her, looking the waitress in the eye and using great manners, relaxed, smiled, and acted like she ate at a nice restaurant in torn jeans every day. When we left, we got in the Suburban, and she said "NOW I can slouch!" She did so well, sitting there for so long, like a young lady, even after a long day, not much sleep the last couple nights, and being so tired she has dark circles under her eyes. It made for a fun evening. And I got to try a shrimp cocktail that burned out my nasal passages for the next six months solid...
Flying tomorrow? I don't know. It mostly depends on one guy. We shall see...
No comments:
Post a Comment