Friday, October 07, 2011

End of Week...

Sort of. As usual, Saturdays aren't really a day off, other than from Kaylee's school. Tomorrow I have a guy on a checkride that I am really, really, really, really (really) hoping passes. Really. I've also got two T-6 rides to give, two Discovery Flights to give, and someone to send off on their first official solo cross-country. That ought to keep me busy on a Saturday.

No flights today somehow. I was supposed to work on accounting, but you know what, I didn't get real far. *sigh*

Today a little girl named Aleena Hope died. She was 7 years old, SMA 1, she was doing fine and passed away unexpectedly. And the world keeps turning...for most of us. Her parents are in shock. I know it's hard now, but I know it will be harder later.

Kaylee had a fantastic day at school. She enjoys Fridays. They get extra recess if they've behaved all week (she had), they get to go shopping and spend the points they earned with their reading program, and they get to pick out more books to bring home from the local library. She was very bouncy when she got to the Jeep today. I haven't asked her about the "friend" situation in the last few days, but she seems to be doing just fine. :)

Sam had fixed my helmet for me--apparently several wires were broken or loose, and he got them back in one piece for me. I'll have to be extra careful with the helmet--it's really easy to get that cord taut when you're getting in or out or buckling up because of how it goes in there and how short it is. Without Sam I would be in a world of trouble, because I'd have to ship it back to California and wait for them to fix it at who knows what cost. So I really appreciate the time he spent fixing it for me... The last few days as I've been riding around in the right seat while other people flew, I was looking at the sun hitting the changing trees, and I kept thinking "I need to bring a camera up here and do some flying and take some pictures." So this afternoon I did. When your helmet was fixed and nobody else can fit it on their head to make sure it's really fixed, and you have two T-6 flights tomorrow where you'd like to use it, and when it's Fall, and when the sun is getting low, and when you've got that tight, icky feeling in your chest, then it's a good time to take up the T-6 and a camera and make sure your helmet is working and that the airplane is in good shape for tomorrow. I didn't take any great shots because I brought my big camera, with its new battery pack, which I was also testing out, and it's not as easy as you'd think to fly that plane and take pics with that camera at the same time, with nowhere to put the camera but around my neck. I did get a few though. I also made sure to flip upside down a couple of times and say hello to Indian Hills, for which Jim came on the radio and thanked me for clearing the deer off his runway. Just a public service; I was thinking about landing, but there were just too many critters out there just before sunset...

I felt better after that flight. I always do.



No comments: