Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nifty Nifty, Look Who's...

Happy Birthday to Steve! Today he turns the Big 5-0. The next decade encroaches. You know, it sounds stranger to have a thirty-something married to a fifty-something than it did to have a thirty something married to a forty-something, even though the difference hasn't changed. It's okay, I'll be in the forty-something range soon enough. ;) We didn't do a lot of celebrating today. With the BBQ Bash coming up, he wanted to wait until it was over with and he could actually relax and enjoy and we'll have a little get-together one weekend coming up and do that. We ate out at lunch and didn't make anybody sing to him or anything.

After lunch I took the Baron on a Mission. I needed to distribute flyers to all the airports anywhere close to here. I made it to Marion, Wabash, Huntington, Peru, Logansport, Delphi, Frankfort, a pass at Glenndale, and back to Kokomo. The winds were calm-ish, so I would land on Runway 27, taxi to the terminal, shut down, get out, pin up the flyer, fire back up, end up taking off on Runway 9 and heading off to the next airport where I'd do the same thing. I'd just take off and land on whichever runway was closest. It went pretty fast, and I got to all those place in about two and a half hours.

I finished in time to fuel her back up, put her away (completely covered in bugs!), and head home to grab some stuff prior to going out to Glenndale for a lesson in KS. It was a really nice evening and we had a good flight. There were several folks out there working on the hangar or on some other projects or just hanging out, so I stayed about half an hour before gathering up the energy to go home. :)

I think the bugs came from Huntington's trees, but I'll tell you what, I could hardly see out of my windshield, which had been freshly washed by Levi right before I got into the plane, and the leading edges of the wings, the props, the hubs, all of it was just covered, like I'd hit a bug slaughterhouse. Doing a runway check at Glenndale didn't help. Jim K. informed me that they were planning on mowing the grass tomorrow anyway so I didn't need to help them out tonight. ;) But the plane was a mess prior to Glenndale anyway. I ended up in some interesting conversations with folks at the various airports, and several of them said they were planning on coming out, so that's great. I've got more to go tomorrow, so I'll try to get to that in the morning...

No comments: