Saturday, September 12, 2009

Change of Plans

Well, the weather in Massachusetts just wouldn't cut us a break. It would have been possible, but it wouldn't have been much fun. We would have had to stop somewhere in Ohio for fuel so we'd have enough fuel to shoot several approaches. The weather was below minimums where we wanted to go and at minimums or close to it everywhere else out there, so we'd have been likely having to find a couple of places to make attempts, along with everyone else. So we're looking at going tomorrow if it works out on his end.

Instead, we went out to Kokomo where Nathan had an orientation flight in the T-6. When I was out at the terminal building on a golf cart with the family of the gentleman on the ride, another man came up to me and asked my name. I told him, and he said "Oh, I know your husband." He asked about a particular thing, which I didn't have, and then paused and said "You know, I don't cotton to women drivers and women pilots." I just look at him. "But I hear you're different. I hear you're okay." Whew, that's a relief. ;) I'm not quite sure why people with that opinion feel the need to share it, as though they are bestowing a huge compliment, nor am I sure what they expect to hear back to that. *shrug* Well, the gentleman on the orientation flight had a great time though, and his family had fun as well. That is really always a fun thing to be able to participate in. I always enjoy those rides. :)

We all ate lunch out there, then drove out to Tipton. This week is the Tipton County Pork Festival. It sounds funny, and when Steve and I were first dating and he wanted to take me there, I thought it was a joke. But it's no joke, it's actually a very large festival for a small town. The streets are packed out, and they don't just have little rides, they have a big ole ferris wheel and several larger carnival-style rides. Concerts (some American Idol person was singing tonight) and contests and games and booths and tents and huge amounts of food, featuring excellent pork tenderloins and BBQ. But first was the parade. We walked from Nathan's house to the main street and sat and watched the parade. Something like five bands come from all over to participate, the Shriners were there, and of course horses and firetrucks and tractors and cheerleaders and mascots and candy-throwing kids and all sorts of things. It's a pretty big parade and the streets are lined for...I don't know how many blocks. A lot.

When the parade ended, we all went back to Nathan's, and the kids all hit the pool for a refreshing dip while we sat on the patio in the shade with cool beverages and watched. They were in there for a long time, maybe two hours. Once everybody got hungry we walked back downtown to the festival. We had the pork (of course!), watched "Granpa Cratchet" which is a puppet show for kids with a little humor for everyone, the kids all got their face painted, we got a funnel cake and some kettle corn, the kids all went on one ride, and played a couple of games (this was all free except the food and the ride). By the time we walked home it was good and dark and there were a lot of stars out.

We got back to Nathan's, the kids divided up the candy they'd all caught at the parade, and we made it back home around 10 p.m., all pretty tired in a good way. It wasn't the original plan for the day, but it was a nice detour and we enjoyed the day. :)

I did put a few photos from today up on Kaylee's site, the bottom half of the "September" page...

No comments: