Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday's Travels

Chuck and I took off in the Baron this morning to head to Kenosha, Wisconsin so he could pick up his truck, which unfortunately dropped a transmission on the way home from Oshkosh. It was a quick and uneventful flight. I went IFR and attempted to go direct, but Chicago, as always, routed me away from their airspace completely, sending me (and everyone else around) out to PEEPS, which is an intersection in the middle of Lake Michigan. I don't mind that in the Baron-not only do I have two engines, but as lightly loaded as we were, I could easily have flown to the nearest runway even if one quit on me. I like that plane. I did make a comment about how there were some mean-looking buildups here and there. Kenosha asked me if I could take their Runway 7R, and I said I could. He came back and basically said "Really? You will? Thank you!" The runway is 3300' long, which is plenty. We weren't on the ground for long-Chuck got a ride to his truck and I turned around and took right back off. Once again Chicago sent me to the middle of the lake instead of letting me skirt into their airspace, and once again I enjoyed the view out there. In the short period of time it had been since I had last been here, those buildups had grown and started solidifying and there were several storms off to the east and west both in a line. I slowed down and played "dodge the buildup" for awhile, as I couldn't go lower without cancelling my IFR clearance, and getting on top of them wasn't practical either; but there was no precip yet. I went around the majority of them. I bet in another hour you wouldn't have wanted to be there though. I enjoyed riding up with Chuck, I enjoyed the music from the Garmin 696, I enjoyed the ride home solo, and I enjoyed the Chicago view.

When I got back, Kaylee was just returning from a shopping expedition with her Grandma, where she had gotten a new "back to school" outfit. That was really sweet-I had considered doing that but didn't, and I'm kind of glad Grandma & Grandpa did. It's a very spiffy outfit, too, with matching socks, skirt and shirt in pink, white and black, with even a little black tie. I'll take a picture tomorrow as she heads off to her first day of 3rd grade. :)

The next thing on the agenda for today was getting Kaylee's school supplies. Target was the store of choice, and they were very low on school supplies. They were out of glue, but I got everything else we needed, plus a few things that we re-used from previous years. Kaylee enjoyed picking out her folders and other supplies and was really pleased to have gotten to go shopping two times in one day. She's had her bath and has her backpack stuffed with supplies and her outfit laid out nicely and she is ready to go!

"A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." ~Gian Vincenzo Gravina

"Be who you are, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Seuss Giesel

No comments: