Monday, July 20, 2009

Visions

Poor Kaylee has been having such a rough time with nightmares lately. She comes by it honestly-I was plagued by particularly nasty nightmares too-and I know how she feels. I think people with vivid imaginations are probably just more prone to it, and she certainly fits that bill. I hate that she's afraid to go to sleep at night, and when she wakes up and feels like she has to explain every detail of the dream, I understand that too. Something about saying it out loud to someone else takes it from that "realness" in your head to actual reality, like it washes it away, makes it fade into silliness. Last night I went into her room at 2 a.m. and she was awake in her bed, lights on, scared to go to sleep for fear of one particular dream that she says has been bothering her over and over. I hate that I can't crawl in there and pull out the nightmares before she sees them, too. I've tried to give her the things that helped me over time, but some of it takes practice, and she can't do it yet. So, if you don't mind, Kaylee would appreciate prayers for some peaceful nights and literal sweet dreams. (Or no dreams. Or neutral dreams. Or anything but those nightmares.) She needs a break...

I did the litany of things I told you I wouldn't tell you about to prepare for Oshkosh today, then after lunch I took Kaylee out to the airport so she and Jamie could ride bikes, play in the sunshine, etc. I realize it's a little dorky that the highlight of my day was sitting in the Mustang and flipping a few switches while Nathan and Jon worked on a couple of things. But I defy most pilots to sit in the cockpit of a Mustang and flip a few switches and not feel just a little extra testosterone. No, it wasn't running. Yes, I still enjoyed it. What about it?? ;) Speaking of fun, manly airplanes, I climbed up in the T-6 for awhile too, to clean out my "map compartment" and make sure I have only what I want/need in there for the upcoming trip. I still have some things to put in, but at least I got the unnecessary stuff out. Yesterday was probably the first day that either Steve or myself started actually feeling ready to think about heading to Oshkosh, and today I might have even started getting a little excited about it. :)

No comments: