The whirlwind continues. It's 11 p.m. and I just now got home, sat down and started to relax.
This morning I woke up at 5 a.m., was too tired to be up but couldn't sleep, so I got up around 6 to find Steve already up working too. I did finally get sleepy again and laid down for awhile, but I wasn't in bed for long before my cellphone started going off with various phone calls, messages, texts, etc and the day was "on", ready or not.
I spent the morning making and returning a lot of business phone calls, and then at 11 I got Kaylee ready for her second and final ballet recital of the year. I did her hair up in the bun this time, to her consternation. "But Mommy, we can get a mom there to do it for us." "No, I can do this." I did, too, thank you very much. Why do I find that a bigger accomplishment than almost anything else I did today?? ;) She used to dance with a look of intense concentration on her face--this year she did her routines with a big smile and a good amount of showmanship. She did great, looked good, and I was proud of her.
The schedule was crazy today as well, and immediately after Kaylee's routine, I left her recital (left Steve there to get her of course) and ran out to the airport where I had a Discovery Flight that just needed to be done today, and done by me or Steve or Ty (who couldn't). It was a nice couple, she sat up front and did the flying, we went over her house and they were smitten with the whole flying thing. I talked to them for awhile, showed them some of the airplanes in the hangar, I took pictures of them by the airplanes, and all in all it was a good time.
Next it was my turn, and I crawled into the back seat of the T-6 to do some take off and landing practice from back there. Oh, Jim was up front of course-I wasn't alone and back there. ;) I have about ten hours from the back (well, where I was flying anyway, not just riding) from the very beginning, but hadn't done any flying from the back since then, so this was good. I just did a bunch of 3-point landings, staying in the pattern along with a Pitts.
When we finished up for the day, Mike and his guy in the Pitts also finished up, and they were going to fly the Cub back to Glenndale. Jim took the Cub instead and I drove Mike to Glenndale, and we hung out at that airport until we got hungry, at which time Jim, the Pitts gentleman and myself all went to a new place in town called "The Quarry". I hadn't intended on going there in airport clothes with helmet hair, and yet I ended up doing just that. However, I was put right at ease when I was seated outside and looked around at the other patrons as well as the band up front who was performing, one of whom looked like Larry the Cable Guy--but sounded great. :) They have way too good of food and high prices to stay afloat in a sinking Kokomo, I'm afraid, but I hope I'm wrong. It was really quite good.
When we walked in the front door of the restaurant, Jim mentioned our appearance, and said we'd been out flying all day. She paused and said "Flying? Airplanes?" Jim said yes, and she said to another lady "Do you believe that, we have more people flying airplanes today!" I said "MORE people? Someone else is here that mentioned airplanes?" She said yes, they did, and I said "They? Is it a couple? A man and woman?" She said yes. I said "I'll bet that is the couple I just took flying this afternoon!" She looked at me and said "Is your name Laura Stants"? I blinked and said yes, and she opened her book and showed me my own business card, which she had gotten from that couple when she mentioned her interest in learning to fly to them. How's that for a small world?? Sure enough, I went back and found them at the table dining, stopped and chatted for a minute, and we went on outside to eat. At the end of the evening, a waitress handed me a $20 bill and said she had a tip for me but couldn't tell me from whom. I turned around and the couple had come on outside to enjoy the music as well. The lady thanked me for a wonderful afternoon, said I had made it a truly enjoyable and memorable day, that they would be back, would love to learn to fly, etc. So it was quite a set of coincidences there all in all, but it was neat. I enjoyed myself too.
Another round of running around after dinner ensued, to get everyone back to their cars, and finally I got home, late. I snuggled with Kaylee for awhile and chatted and caught up with her day, wrote this, and now I'm ready for bed. Tomorrow will be busy as well, so bedtime sounds like an excellent plan...
No comments:
Post a Comment