Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stuff of the Day

Steve came to Kaylee's swim lesson today, and she just ate it up. She was so excited to show him what she could do in the water now, and he was impressed with her progress too. At one point she was really kind of showing off in the deeper end, and she started going down and struggling a little, or so it appeared. As she got closer to our end finally, she yelled over "I'm trying the Chuck Method!" This cracked us both up, because the "Chuck Method" is simple...if you find yourself in water and can't swim, just sink to the bottom then run to shore. So she was trying to run across the bottom. Silly girl.

I took her out to Glenndale while I had a flight lesson, but today she got lucky, and Maggie was able to come out and play too. Kaylee was mad that their play time was so short today, but I only could fly for an hour thanks to a wave of rain that moved in on us. At least the weather gave us a nice crosswind to play with...

Kaylee and I had to wait in the car for awhile before something opened, so she climbed up in the front seat and we just sat and talked and played songs on the iPod and danced in our seats and made faces in the mirrors and laughed. When it was time to go in, she paused and said "I don't want to go. I liked being here, just like this, with you."

(I heard those "awwwwww"s.) ;)

She also set up a "Spa" for me today. And let me tell you, that was a serious spa. She set out every bottle of lotion, spray, perfume, fingernail stuff, foot stuff, potions, hair stuff, makeup, everything you can think of, and she organized it all on my counter in the changing room, and it was really quite impressive. She did a nice job...scarily nice. At one point, she was putting makeup on herself, and she came out and asked me how it looked. I inspected her and told her she had done a nice job on the lipstick this time. Sometimes she gets it all over and past her lip lines, but I told her she nailed it today. She said in this reflective voice, "You're the only one who ever tells me I do a nice job on it. Everybody else tells me to let an adult put my make up on, tells me I don't do it right. But you tell me when I do a nice job." Apparently at her ballet recital, the room moms helping out told her not to do it herself but to let an adult because they didn't think she'd do or did a good job. She actually does now that she's getting the lipstick thing under control and not letting it smear around her mouth. :) Kid play that will translate into her surpassing my girlie skills...oh, in another year or so. ;)

She also got out the perfume that she and Steve had hand-made for me for my birthday, and she put it on, then held it up to my nose and said "Tell me the truth-100% the truth-do you like this?" Oh my. I told her I liked it and it was special because she and daddy had hand-made it, spent a lot of time on it, it was in a beautiful bottle, was a pretty golden color. She said "But I want to know if you like how it smells. The truth." I said "WHY are you asking?" She comes back with "Because it really stinks. But how do you tell someone who made you something special that it stinks?"

Here's an article that I enjoyed reading. I like this lady. An electrician and now retired and a 55-year-old aerobatic competition pilot. I smiled at several lines in there, including her smirking at beating someone at tennis 23 years her junior. You go. ;)

I've had a ton of these come in lately, so might as well post a few for posterity:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget conventionalisms; forget what the world thinks of you stepping out of your place; think your best thoughts, speak your best words, work your best works, looking to your own conscience for approval. ~Susan B. Anthony

We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal and then leap in the dark to our success. ~Henry David Thoreau

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it. ~Abraham Lincoln

Live each day as if was your last, not in the future, not in the past. You may not get what you want, but, in the long run, you will get what you expect. ~Denis Waitley

Don’t join an easy crowd; you won’t grow. Go where the expectations and the demands to perform are high. ~Jim Rohn

Your success in life will be in direct proportion to what you do after you do what you are expected to do. ~Brian Tracy

No comments: