Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sheridan Show

Today was a kind of "open house" for Sheridan Airport. It was a celebration of their 60th Anniversary, though really it was their 62nd year. :) As with most aviation activities, it involved airplanes, golf carts, lawn chairs, and refreshments. A Pitts and an Extra 300 did aerobatic routines a couple of times each, skydivers came down with flags, and we had several airplanes on static display. It's a quiet little country airport, so it is enjoyable to see the people show up and have a good time, and it's neat to see the variety of airplanes there. We had everything from ultralights to multi-engine airplanes to warbirds to trainers to little taildraggers to aerobatic performers to experimentals. Everything went well, people had a good time, the event was safe, and I even got to meet the new prospective owner of the airport. We were there until pretty late in the afternoon, after which Kaylee and I went to KFC and picked up dinner while Steve took a Jeep load full of stuff to Glenndale to unload. It was a good day. I didn't take many photos, and no flying ones, but here are the ones I did take...

Kaylee had fun as well. She wanted to play with a couple of little girls that she spotted, but she felt too shy to go over there, so she grabbed me by the hand and told me I had to go with her. I walk over with her, and I'm just standing there while she eyeballs this other girl for awhile. Finally I say "Kaylee, just introduce yourself and say 'hi'." She said "You meet the mom and introduce me!" I did that, but the other girls didn't really engage, so we left. Suddenly, a bit later, I looked around and they were running around playing like long lost good friends. Ah, to be kids! :) Then a bit later, her friend Maggie came too, and they got to play for awhile.

Basically, Kaylee ran around and played in the dirt and grass and beans and had what I like to call a Good Childhood Day...and the rest of us didn't do so bad ourselves. :)

No comments: