Monday, August 18, 2008

Firsts

Today was Kaylee's first full, real day of 2nd grade. I couldn't really get a good photo, because the sign for the school is right on a busy road with a narrow driveway, and when you drop them off, you do it in a round driveway where you literally just let them hop out of the car and go to their teacher. So there really aren't good photo ops here. But maybe on a later date I'll sneak her out by the sign and the road and do it anyway. :) In the meantime, here she is right before we got in the car to come to school today.

She had packed her own lunch last night, and in it she included a lot of carbs. So I sneaked a couple things in for her to find at lunch time too, of a healthy variety. ;)

When I picked her up, Mrs. H came to the car with her, and told me that they had done testing today to see where all the kids were, and that Kaylee did great. She also said "Kaylee told me up front that she wasn't a very good reader, but she IS. She did a terrific job reading." We enjoyed hearing that. They did a nature hike today, and Kaylee came home with a leaf, a twig, a dead locust, and a flower. At least it wasn't a dead spider...

She said she'd enjoyed her day at school, and she was quite chatty on the way home about. So, this is good.

I did some work at home, ran a few errands, picked Steve up in Greentown, did the lunch thing, ran a few more errands, did some more work at home. Then this afternoon I went to a board meeting at the airport, which lasted about an hour, to give a little progress update for them on the flight training ops out at Kokomo. (So far so good!)

We're trying to get ready for Mt. Comfort airshow next, which is this coming weekend, and I have a couple things I need to make up and have ready. I didn't get as far as I needed to on those today, but tomorrow is Tuesday and most people are going down Thursday, so I need to get a move-on. I won't be able to go down until Friday, because Kaylee is in school until Friday afternoon. So once she's out, I'll pick her up, pick up another little guy, and head on down for the weekend.

I don't really spend a lot of time "surfing" the internet. For one thing, I have a tough enough time keeping up with the email and boards I am already interested in. But today I got sent to a site that I actually spent 20 minutes looking at, occasionally laughing so loud that I made the dogs next door start barking. I can't even explain why I found it funny, but it was called "Cake Wrecks", and it's a blog that shows photos of professionally done cakes that are completely messed up for one reason or another. Terrible grammar or spelling, goofed-up looking, really weird or creepy shapes, etc. I'd link it, but not all of them are G-rated. But the commentary is great and some of those cakes are just nothing you'd believe. A link from there sent me to the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotes, which pokes fun at all the professional signs out there that have quotes in completely wrong and inappropriate phrases. In other words, I spent about 40 minutes surfing totally unnecessary and unfamiliar blogs, but I got a good laugh out of some of it. Laughter is good medicine you know, and good exercise too, so really it was part of my health plan for the day. ;)

Kaylee was tired after today-her Mondays for now include school all day, then ballet/tap, then cheer. We're switching her ballet class to a different day, but for today she had to go to this class, and she's pooped. When we came home at 7:30, she asked if she could just lay on the couch and cuddle with me for a few minutes. She hasn't asked to do that in awhile. Of course I was delighted to cuddle with my sweetie. :)

It was a really busy for all, but overall good day...

No comments: