Wednesday, January 09, 2008

What's Up?

Let's see.

The sun was shining today! That always makes life seem a little brighter, in more respects than one. :)

My day did not quite go as planned. Today was supposed to be a very productive day. Instead I spent the majority of my free hours...otherwise engaged. It was still productive I guess, to a degree, just not the productive I needed/wanted. Oh well.

Kaylee brought home her report card today. She had a "card" that called her a "superstar" for having straight "A"s, and she said that only one other student besides her got straight A's this quarter. In part that kind of tells me how strict the teacher is, because first graders should be able to get A's, they just should, at least most of them. I was happy to see a bit of mercy and common sense in the teacher this quarter though. Along with Kaylee's report card came a print out of all the grades, and a hand-written note by the teacher. Kaylee's English grade actually came out to 89.5, which is technically a "B". However, her grade was 89.5 because of ONE ASSIGNMENT that she hadn't turned in, because *I* had not remembered to help her do it. She got a zero on that one assignment, (which the teacher would not let her make up, by the way), and it dropped her grade from a high "A" to a B+ in one fell swoop. The teacher sent a note home saying that because it was just one assignment that was causing such a big drop, that the rest of her grades in that subject and all others were high A's, and because 89.5 could easily be rounded up to 90, which was the A, that she went ahead and made it an "A". You might think that should be a no-brainer, but I am almost shocked that she did it. And grateful. It shows common sense and a hint of kindness.

At the cheerleading half-time event last night, I forgot one thing. At the schools, the announcers will announce the names of any of the cheerleaders who attend that school. Well, Kaylee is in private school, and Grace is homeschooled, so they would never be announced. Except that the cheer coach noticed that they hadn't been attendees of any of the schools so far, and asked what school they Did attend, and when they told her, she had this last school announce the girls. So I got to hear "Kaylee Stants!" over the loudspeaker at halftime at the game, which was pretty cool, actually. You should have seen Kaylee's face-she was surprised, and she looked at me with that "O!" look on her face. It was sweet, and I appreciate the coach doing that for the girls who don't go to the public schools. Very considerate!

The rest of today has been spent running errands, helping Kaylee study for Awanas (she passed three sections tonight and got ice cream as a reward from them) and do her homework (which is MUCH easier now that she's pretty good at reading). And thus ends our Wednesday!

No comments: