Our hotel room is very nice. We came back tonight and they'd not only done the typical bed-making, they put back together Kaylee's pull-out couch, folded her dirty dress and underpants, and placed her little stuffed animals neatly on the couch. Our toiletries were now lying on a little towel in the bathroom. Can I have one of these folks follow me home?? I could sure stand to walk into my home and find everything in perfect order no matter how I left it earlier that morning.
This morning after breakfast, we headed back out to the airport, just in time for the air show to start. The skies were gray and unpleasant, but just high enough for the show to mostly go on. Chuck, Judy, Steve, Jamie, Kaylee and myself headed to the flight line on our official golf cart, and went over to the Mustang. We got to watch the show from there, and miraculously the weather held off the entire day. There was a 50% chance of storms today, and we saw some dark skies, but somehow they always missed us. The show went on, and I think I got a grand total of 5 rain drops on my shirt once. Finally it was time for the warbird show, so we sat on our golf cart behind the Mustang and the P47s, and we watched everybody fire up and taxi out. Those birds can blow my hair any time they like, thank you very much. Nathan was the lead for the bomb run, and it was a good show. I got a few photos, but didn't have my telephoto lens with me, so I don't know how good they'll end up. We all like the "Wall of Fire" at the end. After a burger of suspicious meat origin but decent taste, and after the Warbird show was over, we headed back to camp to set up tables and chairs and awnings for the dinner that evening. Shortly after we had that going on, John Dale came trucking in with Ty and Justin, and our chef was here. It was time for the Blue Angels, so we set up chairs on the other side of the trailer, and sat and watched the show. They had to do their low show because of the cloud ceilings, but there's still something quite stirring about afterburners and formation flying. I took several photos this year, so we'll see if anything turns out. I took a photo of the Osprey, the four-helicopter-routine (those guys were good), Nathan's bomb runs, stuff like that. And of course the kids. Can't forget them. ;)
Sometime after 6 pm, the steaks were done, and John Dale did a wonderful job as always. We had corn on the cob, baked potatoes, fillet, fresh tomatoes, and key lime pay and flange (custard) for dessert. Nathan provided the meat, John provided the cooking, and Charlie and Dawn provided a lot of the prep work and set up stuff. I didn't provide anything but the beverages and an extra stomach to feed. It was quite good. We had a much smaller crowd than we did last year. Last year we had the Mail Call guys and all the warbird pilots. This year it was mostly the Glenndale folks, and Duane and his son Trey. Less work on everyone's part, if nothing else. :)
After the meal the chef packed up and took his entourage home, and we just sat around and chatted until it was time to head to the hotel. I don't mind the hotel at all, I must admit. It feels a little odd not having a trailer out there when you arrive or it gets late, but coming back to a soft squishy bed and a giant powerful shower and a wonderful air conditioner that stays on all night long? Yeeeeah. Not Bad.
Tomorrow it's Kids Play on Stuff day and FlightLine Air Show Watching Day, and Nathan flies again probably around 1:30 or so....
No comments:
Post a Comment