Monday, September 11, 2006

Study Study Study!

Today was study day, for sure. Well, the next few days will be. I'm helping Steve & Chuck prepare for a checkride, and it's been so long since I sent anyone through for anything multi-engine that it's a refresher course for me as well on a lot of this stuff. Steve's checkride is coming up quickly, so we are in a cram session now. We both took today off, along with Chuck, and went out to a hangar without a phone or computer, and worked from 9 a.m. through about 6 p.m. with only one break for lunch. Then we got home, and around 8:30 p.m. or so, Steve and I by ourselves went over a few more things, until 11:30 p.m. We'll be doing that until the checkride, most likely. My brain hurts, and I'll bet his does too! Lots of work to do still, and lots of work accomplished. We don't even have the Pilot's Operating Handbook in hand to go over performance charts and some of the numbers, and we don't have the plane to practice in, but hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday we'll get the plane and info back and be able to finish prepping for this checkride. After Steve, it's Chuck's turn. Steve is the guinea pig, and after he goes through I'll better know how to prep Chuck for a smoother check ride. :)

We were practicing in a hangar, and it started storming, and water just came pouring in under the doors. I haven't seen much like that in awhile, it was a mini flood. When we left, there was standing water in the grass and stuff too. THAT was a hard batch of rain.

Kaylee was in school until 3 p.m., and then she stayed with Grandma & Grandpa until 6 p.m. She said she had a great day in school, and when I dropped her off, I heard the other kids in the room say "Oh Goodie, Kaylee is here!" Now that's a nice way for anyone to start their day. To have someone out there glad to see you! We should all be so lucky! :)

Two more little girls passed away from SMA this week. The dad of one of them wrote me, saying thank you for some help the last year, and he was so kind and gracious out of his own loss, it tears you up. A man who is burying his daughter telling me how thankful he is for SMA Support, asking me to keep it going for others that will come in the future...what kind of grace does it take to think to send a message like that at the worst time of your life? I don't know, but God bless him and his family, I wish I didn't know what they were going to be experiencing in the months and years to come. I wish there was some way to be able to actually HELP people going through the loss of their child, beyond just saying you're sorry. But it's a solitary journey, one even a spouse can't take for another. When a child dies, I am first hurt by that loss, and then I am hurt for the family, knowing what kind of life-long impact that will have on each of them....

Well, I'm pretty pooped tonight, I think I'm going to head to bed at 11:30, which is pretty early for me. Tomorrow starts another day...

No comments: